Originally published at: https://ahzassociates.co.uk/finding-an-accomodation/
Student Accommodation - Using Letting Agency
It is true that when a new student arrives in the United Kingdom it is very hard to find an accommodation. For an international student, it is difficult to select location, price and suitable house as well.
There are many ways to find an accommodation in the UK.
- Using a letting agency
- University Accommodation
- Searching a private accommodation online
You can find a private house owned by a landlord through a letting agency. When you deal with a letting agency sometimes, you may have no direct contact with your house landlord. You should remember few things before going to deal with a letting agency.
It is best to use an agency which is a member of a voluntary self-regulating trade body. If you use one of these agencies then you won’t lose your money even if they go out of business.
Please note that a letting agency cannot charge you for
- to register with the agency
- for a list of available for renting
- a deposit which will be returned to you if it does not find you a suitable property.
Checklists of points you should check with the letting agency before registering with them.
- Details of the services it provides
- Full details of the charges it makes
- Whether it is a member of a trade body such as ARLA, NAEA, RICS or NALS as it must have a complaints procedure and protect your money if the agency goes out of business
- Whether the agency has a complaints procedure and whether it is a member of The Property Ombudsman Scheme
- Details of the tenancy deposit protection scheme its uses.
If you are an international student and coming to the UK to study and need a help to find an accommodation or need any advice you can contact us. For more information about the accommodation help please visit our student services page and go to the accommodation assistant with the travel plan section.
Click here to read more about letting agency: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-using-a-letting-agent